Speaker Bios and Topics
Overcoming the fear of failure
Jill Allen & Associates is an orthodontic consulting firm located in the heart of Golden, Colorado. Jill Allen, owner and orthodontic consultant, has a passion for working with orthodontists in all stages of their career. Whether they are looking to start-up an orthodontic practice, purchase an existing practice or just needs some modernization in a mature practice. Jill and her team work to help their clients set up the proper systems and protocols so that they can achieve and maintain strong, successful, practices for years to come.
During this lecture, Jill will be discussing what happens to teams and doctors when they are afraid to fail. After many years of working with orthodontic teams and their doctors, Jill has found that many of them are held back by the worry that they won't succeed and so they do the worst thing ever; they just don't try. Jill will be focusing on how team members and doctors can lift themselves out of this insecurity of failure and become the team and practice they were meant to be.
- Learn how to forget the fear of failure in your personal and business life, and ground yourself in what real personal and business pursuit looks like.
- Learn how to incorporate personal and business goals and ideals into your company culture and define your practice's trajectory.
- Learn how to deal with the fear of failure and define achievement, without using the metrics of someone else's social highlight reel.
S. Jay Bowman, D.M.D., M.S.D.
Everything but the Kitchen Sink . . .but, on Second Blush
Dr. S. Jay Bowman is a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics, a member of the Edward H. Angle Society of Orthodontists, and is an Adjunct Associate Professor at Saint LouisUniversity, an instructor at The University of Michigan, an AssistantClinical Professor at Case Western Reserve University, Visiting ClinicalLecturer at Seton Hill University, and MiltonSims Visiting Professor at the University of Adelaide. He received the Angle Research Award in2000, the Alumni Merit Award from Saint Louis University in 2005, and Orthodontic Education and Research Foundation (OERF) Merit Award in 2017.
Wires and pliers, plastic and punches, scars and solutions, IIs and IIIs, fore and aft, chewies and positioners, quick fixes, horseshoes, monkey hooks, plus anchorage and anchors. Everything from soup-to-nuts: an orthodontic travelogue through daily problem solving as the mother of invention.
- Uno, Dos,Tres: All Mini-Screws in One Place
- Drastic Plastic: Improving Predictability of Aligners
- Canine Obedience Training: Taming Wild Cuspids
The Systems that Drive Your Smiles
Shannon Branam Brockway is a consultant and implementation specialist with impact360, a consulting firm that provides business solutions to orthodontic practices to improve the operational structure, organize administrative systems, maximize software implementation and provide innovative technology solutions to create maximum workplace efficiency. She works with orthodontic teams to identify practice trends and make strategic adjustments to navigate the challenges of today's orthodontic marketplace. Shannon is also a team member with Gaidge, a practice analytics tool that provides business intelligence to the orthodontic industry.
The business challenges facing today’s orthodontic practices are complicated.
Ensuring teams are aligned, planning and measuring success is essential for practices to survive and thrive. In this lecture, Shannon Brockway will provide you with the solutions and systems needed to take your team and your practice to the next level by understanding the business of orthodontics and the value of practice metrics.
Jason B. Cope
Digitally Guided Bonding
Jason B. Cope, DDS, PhD, is a practicing orthodontist, teacher, publisher, inventor, and much sought after international speaker.
Dr. Cope is unique among orthodontists; he is the only orthodontist in Texas who is also a PhD. That means that in addition to his 4 years of dental and 2.5 years of orthodontic education, he also spent three additional years studying to earn a PhD in craniofacial bone biology.
Using his combined education and clinical experience, Dr. Cope is one of a handful of world experts in the field of Temporary Anchorage Devices, commonly referred to as TADs. In this rapidly evolving field, Dr. Cope has been a pioneer, developing solid evidence-based clinical techniques for TAD use in cases ranging from moderate to extremely difficult.
- Understand the process of the analog InDirect Bonding Technique.
- Appreciate the benefits of adopting a Digitally Guided Bonding workflow.
- Understand the process of creating a Digital Bonding Template.
Dr. Doug Depew
Teamwork-The Key to Exceptional Customer Service in Your Orthodontic Practice
Dr. Doug Depew has maintained a thriving orthodontic practice in Kennesaw, Georgia since 1990. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Georgia. He received his dental degree from the Medical College of Georgia where he graduated at the top of his class. His certificate in orthodontics and master’s degree was earned from Baylor College of Dentistry at Baylor University. His pursuit of excellence is exemplified by numerous achievements and awards.
Success can be measured in so many ways and one way is the level of customer satisfaction. In this upbeat presentation, Dr. Depew will share systems used in his practice for hiring, training, and execution in delivering customer service that will make your practice stand out. He will show how providing outstanding experiences for your patients will help your practice grow and remain a place you will want to work forever!Dr. Depew will also share areas in the practice where team members play a role in risk management.
- Learn systems and methods to develop a reputation as the practice that provides outstanding customer service.
- Explain why every member of the team in any position is critical for practice success.
- Demonstrate how actions that are not in line with your doctor’s goals can compromise your doctor’s reputation and even ability to practice.
Dr. Kyle Fagala
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Orthodontists
Dr. Kyle Fagala is the owner and orthodontist at Saddle Creek Orthodontics, with two locations in Germantown and Collierville, Tennessee. He is also co-founder of the digital marketing agency Neon Canvas and host of The Digital Orthodontist: Live! Dr. Kyle graduated from UT Memphis in 2013 with a certificate in orthodontics and a master's degree in Dental Science for his thesis on three-dimensional imaging of the airway. Dr.Kyle is the course director and lecturer of Development of the Occlusion, a class for first year dental students at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center and a key opinion Leader for 3M Oral Care and Komet Burs. He loves music, specifically the drums, and spends more time than he should on social media. Dr. Kyle, his wife Anna, and their four children Charlie, Libby, George, and Lucy live in Germantown and attendHighland Church of Christ.
Dr. Kyle Fagala describes seven ways to consistently excel and exceed expectations through the methods of self-mastery, working well with others, and continual improvement. Dr. Kyle will share tips for advancement in the personal, professional, and spiritual realms.
After this lecture, you will be able to establish your personal value system, embrace happiness, and focus on the things that matter. After this lecture, you will be able to implement servant leadership, manage a top-notch team, and create a story that inspires your audience and leaves a legacy. After this lecture, you will understand the value of staying humble and remaining focused on your main thing.
Paul Gange Jr.
For Those About to BOND - We Salute You!
Paul Gange Jr. has been an integral part of Reliance Orthodontic Products since 2008. Paul is a published author, lectures nationally at universities, study clubs, and component meetings. He utilizes a hands-on approach for doctor and staff training and enjoys the thrill of new product development. Sharing the same passion for orthodontic bonding as his father, Paul Jr. has become a leader in resolving difficult technical bonding issues.
- Attendees will be able to analyze various types of bond failures and remedy accordingly
- Attendees will be able to demonstrate the proper protocol to bond appliances to every substrate found in the mouth
- Attendees will be able to execute various specific bonding procedures such as lingual retention, aligner attachments, palatal expanders, etc.
Dr. Heather Hopkins
Unlocking Digital Workflow: Scaling up your practice and scaling back stress
Dr. Hopkins orthodontic career has taken her all over the world, but she is very happy to call South Carolina home. She is a world-renowned orthodontic speaker and has lectured and taught orthodontics to colleagues all over the US and in many countries across the globe. Her talent for teaching and understanding cutting edge orthodontic technology has led her to be a consultant for some of the largest companies in the field!
Dr. Hopkins started her career in Beverly Hills where she was an orthodontist to the stars, working with celebrities such as Katy Perry and Jack Black. She also appeared on several TV shows including “The Doctors” and "Extra". Her time in Hollywood provided extensive training in customized and esthetic treatment options.Dr. Hopkins is very driven, she is always striving to improve. She is dedicated to providing the most efficient and highest quality techniques to her patients. She is a self-proclaimed TechGeek and is an early adopter and innovator in the field of orthodontic technology. Above all else, Dr. Hopkins cares immensely about her patients and those in her care. She gives incredible thought and care to her patients experience while going through orthodontic treatment.
- Understand millennial mom's and their process behind choosing orthodontic care for themselves and their children
- How to compete with platform business models on a convenience level while maintaining quality
- How to implement systems in your office to accommodate digital treatment modalities staff delegation and training
- Advantages of treating every patient with a custom prescription through aligners, lingual, or IDB
- How to increase office efficiencies and number of patients seen while maintaining quality outcomes
- How to implement TC only consultations
Dr. Justin Hughes
Ortho-Copia: Pearls to empower you, your practice, and our specialty!
Demonstrating longstanding commitment to dental health and orthodontic excellence, Dr. Justin Hughes has completed rigorous training and follows the legacy of his family in superior dental and orthodontic care.
Having received his bachelor's degree from Wake Forest University (Go Deacs!), his Doctorate of Dental Surgery degree from Virginia Commonwealth University (Go Rams!), and his Master's in Orthodontics from the University of Iowa (Go Hawks!) he has had outstanding academic preparation (even remaining committed to his school colors of Black and Gold throughout his training!).
In addition, Dr. Justin also completed a one-year dental residency at St. Barnabas Hospital in New York City prior to beginning his orthodontic residency in Iowa.
During this course, Dr. Justin Hughes will dive into practical pearls to thrive in the rapidly changing orthodontic market. Including new ways to engage with patients, practice differentiation, and leveraging technology for better patient experiences.
- Explore new ways to market to the adult patient population
- Demonstrate practical pearls for a better consultation experience, including how to discuss Clarity Aligners
- Discover how to leverage technology to engage with your patients
Confessions of a Bed Wetter & Rice and Other Thieves of Happiness
Dr. Johnson is as unique as he is intriguing...some things you may not know about one of all our favorite Orthodontic speakers:
- He loves children. Like, probably too much. He has 8 kids of his own...at least as far as we know.
- His pastimes include hanging out at crosswalks, volunteering as a photographer for local swim teams, and slowly smelling bottles of fancy shampoo in the aisles of Bed, Bath, & Beyond.
- Dr. Johnson has an array of talents! He Leads a men’s tumbling troupe and boasts the ability to eat his weight in birdseed. This frisky Capricorn wields a firm command of the Klingon, Na’avi, as well as MS Dos languages. He was the Multnomah County Athletic Club’s 2012 Pilates Instructor of the Year and is a 3-Time Mavis Beacon ‘Shirts n’Skins Speed-Typing’ Champion.
- Dr. Johnson considers his greatest accomplishment to be the time he ate his standard lunch of 1/2 cup skim Cottage Cheese off the stomach of a guy who kind of looks like well-known B-list actor, Jason Bateman.
Doctor Track: Confessions of a Bed Wetter
- OBJECTIVE: Discover and embrace who you are as a practice owner.
Staff Track: Rice and Other Thieves of Happiness
- OBJECTIVE: Understand the things that rob you, your family, and your office of joy.
Cathy Jugovic & Angie Menendez
Knowing your Doctor’s “Golden Ticket”
Cathy has vast experience in the dental/orthodontic professions. She has many talents, but her true talents are in details, facts, and numbers. Understanding the business side of a practice is where Cathy excels, she treats your practice as if it was her own. Her knowledge and expertise set her apart. After running 2 successful orthodontic practices she knew her passion was to go out and teach others how to be proficient and profitable.
Cathy is married to Tom, they have three boys and two adorable grandchildren.
Angie loves training on ways to improve the flow of a practice. Angie is enthusiastic when training the staff on promoting the doctor and office. Her clinical skills have been mastered by having exceptional doctors train her in the art of bending wires, computer skills, photography and knowing how to sell a smile for the future! Angie is known for always jumping around to any area needed in an office. She has a passion to share her knowledge with all who will listen. Beautiful smiles are what makes Angie happy.
Angie is married to Jeff, they have a blended family of four boys, one daughter, and two grandchildren.
One of the most important objectives is to understand the value of an Orthodontic Practice and it’s Doctor. With this new age of social media and fast access, the value of having an educated Doctor is being lost. Doctors need to instill this in the teams that they put together.
The team needs to be taught the Doctor’scredentialsandspecialtiesin order to communicate with patients. With cell phones and computers, people have forgotten the basic skills of customer service and communication. How the staff engages with the Doctor, each other and their patients make a true difference in why patients come to an office.
The doctor also needs to find what makes his office and team special. We call it the“Golden Ticket.”Patients are drawn to places that are fun, friendly and engaging. TheDoctor can have a“GoldenTicket” with the personality of themselves, team members, office décor and excellent customer service.
We at Embrace your Practice Consulting Services, have been able to work with very successful offices that we have helped instill these qualities!
3D Imaging: Pearls for Practice
Dr. Larson received his dental degree from the University of Minnesota, completed a general practice residency and practiced general dentistry for 3 years in the U.S Air Force. He then received his orthodontic training at the University of North Carolina before joining the staff at the Mayo Clinic. At Mayo, he served as Program Director in Orthodontics and received several “Teacher of the Year” awards. In 1996 Dr. Larson left Mayo for full-time private practice in Rochester, MN where he continues to practice 1 day a week. In 2004 he returned to full-time academics at the University of Minnesota where he currently serves as Professor and Director of the Division of Orthodontics. He has published many scientific articles and recently collaborated with his mentor, Dr. Proffit, on the latest edition of the contemporary Orthodontics textbook.
Dr. Larson has received the Distinguished Dental Alumnus Award and Century Club Professor of the Year from the University of Minnesota. He is also the 2018 recipient of the Jarabak Award given for significant contribution to orthodontic teaching and research.
3D imaging brings amazing advantages to your practice and your patients, but because of the huge amount of information it provides, it can be a challenge to incorporate it into a busy clinical practice. Through a series of case presentations, a method of systematically reviewing 3Dvolumes will be demonstrated and tips will be shared for getting the most out of the images in a short time.
- Understand the value of developing a systematic way to view a large field of view (FOV) CBCTvolume taken for comprehensive orthodontic assessment and planning.
- Determine which orthodontic cases particularly benefit from advanced 3D imaging with large FOV CBCT.
- Communicate a method of objective assessment of dental and skeletal asymmetry that can help with important treatment planning decisions.
OH!...the Pleasures of Plastic
Dr. Mazyar Moshiri is an Invisalign©Elite Provider at his private practice in St. Louis, Missouri. A featured speaker in Ask the Expert webinars, he is a lead educator for Class II and Deep Bite solutions. As an Assistant Clinical Professor at the Saint Louis University Center for AdvancedDental Education, Dr. Moshiri lectures and provides clinical oversight on Invisalign treatment. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics, and a fellow of the American College of Dentists.
Aligners have changed the landscape of orthodontics forever! So, do you love the appliance, or disdain it? Allow me to propose the pleasures of plastic, along with the challenges that may accompany the appliance. We will learn many pearls together, allowing us to wholeheartedly embrace the mother-in-law of orthodontic appliances.
- 10 clinical pearls will be reviewed in detail, allowing for more predictable clear aligner treatment.
Ready. Set. Go.
Through innovative, proven and proprietary Systems, LeeAnn Peniche has consistently brought smiles to orthodontists for more than 30 years. As the founder and President of Peniche & Associates, she has earned a reputation as one of the country’s premier orthodontic consultants who specialize in case acceptance, scripting, marketing and practice systemization. Over 3,000 practices have experienced first-hand her creative outlook, years of expertise and proven track record of success. LeeAnn’s life has been committed to providing Orthodontists and their practices with the tools and Systems for their continued success through lectures, in office training as well as her trademarked Treatment Coordinator Intensive Workshop and the exclusive Office Management Academy.
Today's new patient is sophisticated, educated and has high expectations. JoinLeeAnn Peniche as she shares the 3-step process to maximize your case acceptance by ensuring that you're brand READY, have SET your standards and developed a GO team.
- How to create a memorable first point of contact.
- Why the team is the influencer.
- Move the patient from a want to a must-have.
Dr. John Pham is a 3x entrepreneur, engineer, and ABO certified orthodontist. Drawing on +20 years of high technology startup and engineering experience, Dr.Pham is bringing disruptive change to dentistry as CEO and co-founder of INBRACE, an innovative paradigm shift in aesthetic orthodontic treatment. His research is featured in numerous cover articles in the American Journal of Orthodontics and Journal of Clinical Orthodontics, and he is frequently invited to speak on cutting edge technology topics at industry association meetings, orthodontic conferences, and residency programs. Dr. Pham completed his orthodontic residency at USC, where he currently leads the Advanced Orthodontics and Viterbi Engineering technology group.
How to bring it every day. Practical tips for being exceptional.
Imagine being so good at your job as a young professional that your favorite customer says, “Hey, why don’t the two of us form our own company? I’ll be your business partner and bring you national exposure. You continue doing the work you love, but instead of working for someone else, you’ll be your own boss.” That’s exactly what happened to Alex Rasmussen.
At the time, Rasmussen was building the digital marketing division of a web design company, and Dr. Kyle Fagala, an orthodontist, was one of his first clients. The work was going really well, generating interesting ideas and strong results. Rasmussen was making a big contribution to Fagala’s rapid success, leading to a second office for Saddle Creek Orthodontics after just two years in business. The relationship evolved into a friendship–and eventually, a business partnership when the two co-founded Neon Canvas, a boutique marketing firm focused on orthodontic practices. Neither has ever heard of a similar firm.
That was just 3 years ago. The Neon Canvas team now has won multiple advertising awards, named a best as a best place to work by the business journal and has its sights on The Inc. 5000, the annual ranking of the nation’s 5,000 fastest-growing privately held small companies. Rasmussen expects to earn their spot next year, the first year Neon Canvas is eligible for the list.
Having bad days is easy. Not letting them affect others is the hard part. This lecture will explore ways we can all be more self-aware and empathetic.
- How can you become the best version of yourself
- How to discover what drives you
- How to double-down on what you are good at
The objective of the lecture is to teach professional and customer service tactics that will improve patient interaction, build culture and maximize individual performance.
Be a Master, Not a Tool.
Orthodontist Dr. Adam Schulhof, DMD takes pride in seeing his patients have beautiful and healthy smiles. Dr. Schulhof graduated with high honors from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey and received his specialty training from Columbia University.
His early interest in lingual orthodontics has led to him becoming the top provider for Incognito in the U.S. and the world. Dr. Schulhof was part of the LingualCare Clinical Advisory Board and is now a Key Opinion Leader for 3M and Incognito. He has presented lectures on lingual orthodontics throughout the U.S. and worldwide. Dr. Schulhof is also active in research and development and was a major contributor to the development of Incognito Lite. Recently, New Jersey Orthodontist Dr. Schulhof has opened a satellite practice in NYC.
MASTERCLASS: Learn to leverage your IP to impact, disrupt, and differentiate your practice utilizing core competencies and thinking outside the box.
- Discuss the state of the market not just to bemoan it but to identify what’s working and what’s broken
- Introduce a novel new platform being created to capture the DTC market yet at the same time empower orthodontists to still delivery patient-centric, responsible care for all types of smiles without compromise
Non-surgical treatment of hyperdivergent Class II growing and adult patients
Daniela Storino, DDS Graduated from the prestigious School of Dentistry of Piracicaba - UNICAMP. Post-graduated from the Faculty of Dentistry at the University of Sao Paulo - FOUSP / FUNDECTO. Private Orthodontic practice for 18 years. Course co-ordinator, instructor, and clinical professor for various Orthodontic mini-residency programs in USP as well as UAA, in Paraguay. Instructor in the Vienna School of Interdisciplinary Dentistry (VieSID) - Vienna School of Medicine. She lectures internationally.
- Understand a novel approach for upper arch development and full arch intrusion
- Understand how to treat growing and non-growing hyper-divergent, retrognathic patients.
- Understand how to correct excessive gingival display without surgery using microosteoperforations (MOPs)
What do you REALLY need to know about expansion?
To start, I'll just be honest and say that I might be a bit different than what you may expect from a doctor or dentist. (No, I'm not different in the crazy sense!) As an orthodontist for the Kennett Square, PA, and Princeton Junction, NJ communities, I feel orthodontics is about more than just creating amazing smiles; it is about forming strong relationships and friendships with the patients, families, dental colleagues, and my community. I want to ensure everyone benefits from the entire orthodontic experience, as well as enjoys a beautiful and lasting result!
Beyond that, though, I also believe your orthodontic journey should focus on more than just straight teeth. It's about letting your confidence grow and your personality shine! It's about creating a healthy bite for the rest of your life. It's about realizing there's a unique human being attached to those 28 teeth!
- Learn how to easily an incorporate an objective skeletal transverse diagnosis into any same-day or multi-step new patient workflow
- Learn why the expansion controversies of today continue to be rooted in flawed research
- Learn proven protocols for selecting either a tooth-supported or TAD-supported expander for skeletal correction
- Learn a realistic protocol for honestly discussing expansion and airway effects with your patients and their medical team without over-promising results or over-simplifying the process
Say It Like You Mean It
Adrienne Twigg is an HR and employment compliance consultant and co-owner of Bent Ericksen & Associates and provides educational programs, training, and human resource services to dental professionals across the country. With her HR expertise and experience, coupled with a background managing a large dental group practice for 17 years, Adrienne’s presentations are insightful and practical, with an HR success-oriented focus.
Adrienne is part of the Seattle Study Club Speaker’s Bureau and is a Certified Facilitator of the“Appreciation at Work” training process.
She is a member of the American Association of Dental Office Managers, Academy of DentalManagement Consultants, Speaking Consulting Network, and the Society for Human ResourceManagement.
We know that individuals in the workplace need to feel appreciated in order to enjoy their job, do their best work, have positive work relationships and stay with their organization long term. How do we get there, and how do we learn to express sincere appreciation in the workplace?
As a result of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Express genuine appreciation to co-workers and colleagues
- Create a more positive work environment
- Improve everyone’s ability to show appreciation for difficult co-workers (or patients)
- Individualize your expressions of appreciation by speaking the right language
Marketing with an Edge
Bio Coming Soon...
- Gain strategic understanding of shifts in consumer behavior
- Understand how to apply new marketing techniques to drive new patient leads
- Understand the future of lead generation and how to manage it